Topic: history and instructions

I came to this site in a somewhat roundabout manner (thanks Jesse) but had never seen or heard of icarra.com.  I downloaded the tarball (for Linux) and am currently working my way through getting it installed.  Have I just missed it, or is there really no instructions for installation/setup?  It would be rather useful - including requirements, which I'm not getting one at a time, from sequential failures saying what it couldn't find.

Also - would it be reasonable to put at a sentence or two on the main page,  perhaps with a link to or mention of icarra.com, saying that this is eventually intended to be a desktop version?  Seeing nothing but the two links is pretty sparse, and it takes a while to figure out the context.

Anyway - it looks like this will be a great tool - hopefully I can work through the setup, and yes, I'll post if I end up with any more specific questions.

Jack

Re: history and instructions

ostroffjh wrote:

I came to this site in a somewhat roundabout manner (thanks Jesse) but had never seen or heard of icarra.com.  I downloaded the tarball (for Linux) and am currently working my way through getting it installed.  Have I just missed it, or is there really no instructions for installation/setup?  It would be rather useful - including requirements, which I'm not getting one at a time, from sequential failures saying what it couldn't find.

Also - would it be reasonable to put at a sentence or two on the main page,  perhaps with a link to or mention of icarra.com, saying that this is eventually intended to be a desktop version?  Seeing nothing but the two links is pretty sparse, and it takes a while to figure out the context.

Anyway - it looks like this will be a great tool - hopefully I can work through the setup, and yes, I'll post if I end up with any more specific questions.

Jack

No you didn't miss anything.  There aren't currently any instructions for linux.  There are several different ways to package python apps under linux and I don't know which one is best.  In the long term I would like to supply a binary just like I do for windows and OS X.

I agree it's pretty sparse.  I'll work up some extra text to describe icarra2.

Re: history and instructions

The one thing I would definitely suggest for the short term is to distinguish linux 32 and 64 bit version.  .py files are all the same, but .so files would be different.  I know there is a way for a 64 bit system to use 32 bit executables, but I don't know how, and I do know you can't just try to link to the mismatched type .so file, as it complains about wrong ELF type.

Minimal instructions should at least partly address folks no too familiar with python and including modules - had I realized most of them were already included, I would have tried to use those instead of installing new ones.