Topic: Is there any way to enter stock price data manually?

The original web icarra had a function that would allow this - so you could "build your own" asset. 

For example, if I own shares in a non-publically traded company, how can I update the stock price over time?

Re: Is there any way to enter stock price data manually?

Yes.  The desktop version supports entering price data manually.  Open your portfolio, choose the "Stock Data" tool, then choose the ticker you would like to add data for.  It will show all available data, if any.  From here you can click the "Add Data" button to add stock data, dividends and splits.  You can also edit existing data and delete data.

The new web version doesn't support this yet.

I may not be doing something correctly then. 

Here is what I have done.

Created an account.

Deposited cash.

Created a "buy" transaction with a fictional ticker (since it is not public,) let's say XXYY.  So, for example, it is buy 5000 shares of XXYY at $2 per share.

In Stock Data, then, that information propagates itself every day.  In this example, 5000 shares with a value of $10000, under ticker XXYY.

When I hit Add Data, the New Data window opens.  There are 3 options for Type - price, dividends, and split.  I select Price.

The problem occurs with the Position pull down selection.  The ticker XXYY is not present as an option.  The other tickers (valid, tradeable tickers) from other accounts are present, however.

I hope this is enough information to identify the situation, please let me know if I can add anything.

Thanks,
pahawkfan

Can you try typing the XXYY ticker into the form?  You should be able to choose a ticker from the drop-down menu or enter your own ticker.

I'll also update it so the currently selected ticker is the default choice.

Yes, entering the symbol in the box worked.  Thanks.

One note, the stock data entries seem to propagate both forwards and backwards.

For example, if I have 1000 shares.

Do an add data transaction with a price of $1.00 for 12/31/20

Add data transaction with a price of $1.10 for 3/31/11

The value shown for 1/1/11 (after the 12/31/10 data point) will be $1,100 - taking the price from the 3/31 data point.

This can fixed by adding an additional add data transaction on 3/30/11 with a price of $1.00.

Thanks very much
pahawkfan

Yep you are right.  Missing stock data is carried forward.  That shouldn't happen.  I will fix this for the next release.

Jesse