Topic: Options history

I recently came across your website and I find it to be intuitive and robust. I can only image the kind of effort went into creating this product. Great job and thanks for making it available to everyone.
I have few comments/questions...
1) When I entry options related transactions (using desktop client), I don't see any corresponding price history for the entered option. Will this be available in future?
2) While calculating performance for a given position, do you include the gain or loss from option position or not?
3) Is it possible to add optionsXpress to support direct imports?

Kind regards
Webdog

Re: Options history

Thanks for the nice feedback.  You made my day!

1) There is no technical reason that option data is not available.  The main issue is that there is an enormous amount of data to track and maintain.  I hope to have something available in the future but it likely won't make an appearance in the next few months.  My main goal is to work on bug fixing and rounding out the features, first.
2) Yes, options are included.  I have ran through several test cases with stocks and options but I am sure there is something that I missed.  If you find something that does not make sense, let me know.
3) Absolutely.  OptionsXpress supports OFX.  I normally don't add a brokerage to the list until I have someone test it for me.  Would you care to be the guinea pig?  I can send you a brokerage file that you can add to your current install.  Options will not be imported properly because I have not been provided with sample OFX data for options positions.  It will be a piece of cake for me to implement once I get a sample file.  Please let me know if you are interested in helping out.

Jesse

I will be more than happy to participate in testing the OFX feed from OptionsXpress. Please send me the sample file and I will let you know my findings.

Email sent

This is a very nice tool, and a really great idea.  Making it open source since it is such a big job to develop something like this.  The project quickly gets too big for one person to support. 

Is options trade transaction data supported?  I imported my options data from Ameritrade but it didn't import the data correctly at all.  Most of the data is not being displayed in the transaction log, such as the OPRA symbols.  What is the default file format for import?   Is it OFX?

What will you do for trade strategy named assignments for strategies like butterflies, verticals, calendars, condors, and diagonals?   What about multi-part trades followed by adjustments, like a two-part diagonal put on at two different times, followed by various adjustments? 

Do you plan to support general purpose options trading tracking?

Thank you.

Rich

Hello and thanks for the feedback.  Support for options is still relatively new.  I have tested the options import feature for two brokerages so far and Ameritrade is not one of them.  How did you import transactions from Ameritrade?  Was it through the Import Transactions tool?  If so it was probably imported using OFX.  I know for certain that imports from Ameritrade work correctly for regular stocks.

If you don't mind working with me I can fix any errors that occur for stock options as well.  You can enable The OFX Debugging feature in the preferences.  Doing so will dump the OFX data and allow me to figure out where it went wrong.  You can email me the results.

I am not an options trader and I don't have any immediate plans to add an options trade analysis tool as you described.  My hope is that someone else will take up this task.  I've had a few fixes submitted by other developers but so far no major features have been implemented by anyone other than myself.

Jesse