Topic: TradeKing and iMport/input question

hi,  first congrats on porting this I am happy to be trying it out!

I am just testing 2.3 now.  mac OSX 10.6.4

I tried using the transaction import feature for my wife's Scottrade acct. but can't seem to get the import to work. password and acct. are in place, and I did hit rebuild as it wasn't clear how to 'get' the data once I put in the password info. That could be clearer.

looking for a way to get info into the software other than manually? can I import CSV, XLS,  or Google doc?

also I am on TradeKing, any plans to add that?

thanks for you work,

Kurt

Re: TradeKing and iMport/input question

Hi Kurt,

I use scottrade, too.  Have you double checked that Scottrade is configured on the settings page and that the username is your account number?  Username and account should both be set to the same thing.  I'll add a note on that.  The import button is at the top left of the transactions page.

If transaction importing still doesn't work you can go to Preferences under the Python menu and enable ofx debug.  It will bring up a window that dumps the OFX info.  You can email it to me and I will take a look.  It should appear as something like this:

OUTPUT
----------
OFXHEADER:100
DATA:OFXSGML
VERSION:102
SECURITY:NONE
ENCODING:USASCII
CHARSET:1252
COMPRESSION:NONE
OLDFILEUID:NONE
NEWFILEUID:0F7418F4-27DD-4ED1-968E-60D792642CA9

<OFX>
<SIGNONMSGSRQV1>
<SONRQ>
<DTCLIENT>20100826160833.000
<USERID>x
<USERPASS>x
<LANGUAGE>ENG
<FI>
<ORG>Scottrade
<FID>777

I am not familiar with TradeKing.  Do they have support for OFX?

Jesse

3 (edited by kurtNYC 2010-10-11 12:52:43)

Jesse,

thanks for that.  for your reff. as you guessed I had "account" set to the password, not the number. probably because I didn't know where to put the pass, or that I would get the prompt later.

but now that's fixed and its working!  thanks.

TradeKing is another online broker. good ratings but less advertising. but I don't know about OFX, I know they do CSV as excel export.

It might be useful to list the brokerages it does work with as it progresses.

thanks - kurt

Got it.  I will add a test password button on the settings page to make it clear that you shouldn't enter your password in the account box.

I did a search for tradeking ofx on google.  This is what turned up:

Go to Accounts - Download Data - "Microsoft Money 2004 or Newer"

I can't vouch for the accuracy but it's worth a try.

Jesse,

FYI I also have been experimenting using the online uploader for transactions to the web version. Maybe you are not really spending time on that now, I don't know, but I found I could get closest with the QIF files, but it seemed to have '200' as the prefix for the year dates. so importing '10' would create '20010'. maybe that's useful maybe not.

On the software.

do you plan on adding the ability to print?  (charts etc.)
some of my positions will not show YTD performance, all show 'since inception'
the error check tab is great, it has accurately shown what is wrong, only I don't know how to fix the errors. ;-)
do you plan on making the summary page have the functions of the web version. ( like time vs. money vs absolute weights )
any chance on getting the ability to import csv files, or a handy way to make them into OFX?

thanks for your work on this jesse!

- kurt

kurtNYC wrote:

Jesse,

FYI I also have been experimenting using the online uploader for transactions to the web version. Maybe you are not really spending time on that now, I don't know, but I found I could get closest with the QIF files, but it seemed to have '200' as the prefix for the year dates. so importing '10' would create '20010'. maybe that's useful maybe not.

Do you mean importing in the old website?  If so then I can fix it if you will send me the .qif file. I see what is going wrong.

kurtNYC wrote:

On the software.

do you plan on adding the ability to print?  (charts etc.)
some of my positions will not show YTD performance, all show 'since inception'
the error check tab is great, it has accurately shown what is wrong, only I don't know how to fix the errors. ;-)
do you plan on making the summary page have the functions of the web version. ( like time vs. money vs absolute weights )
any chance on getting the ability to import csv files, or a handy way to make them into OFX?

thanks for your work on this jesse!

- kurt

I don't plan to add printing support per se.  There are too many formats and printing options to make everyone happy.  Instead I plan to add export options so you can put the chart data in your charting tool of choice.

Which positions don't show YTD?  Is there anything you can tell me about them?

If you tell me the errors I can give some advice for fixing them.  I'm writing documentation and that would be helpful.

The old features will eventually make a comeback.  My primary goal is pretty basic right now: I want to make sure we can import data, build portfolios, and run on multiple platforms.  Once the basics are done I'll expand the feature set.

Which CSV files do you want to import?  Right now the desktop version will do ameritrade csv files.  If there is another standard csv flie format then I can support it as well.

Jesse