Topic: Please add Average Cost Basis indicator line in charts

Please add a Cost Basis indicator line in charts. This seems to be such a basic requirement to quickly grasp whether a specific stock or group of stocks can be sold at a profit. It boggles my mind that the old Quicken program from the early '90s that I used to use has this function as part of its stock tracking methodology, but every other stock charting / investment management software I've looked at does not have this basic view. Almost all charting programs will list the cost basis value, but none (except for Quicken) will display this value within a chart.

Re: Please add Average Cost Basis indicator line in charts

Great suggestion!  Icarra keeps track of the cost basis internally so it will be an easy addition.  The only catch is that Icarra defaults to using the FIFO (first in first out) method for calculating basis.  The line will drawn using FIFO basis in the next release.  I plan to add other methods for calculating basis in a later release but it isn't a high priority.

Jesse

Thank you! I'm looking forward to trying out the next version of Icarra with this feature implemented.

I suppose the easiest way to manage this in later versions where you want to allow other methods for calculating Cost Basis is to track which lots are sold... you can use a picker to allow the user to specify FIFO, LIFO, or User Selected (etc.)

When examining the price, return, or other data pertaining to a stock that I own, the graph starts with the closing price on the day that I bought the stock.  I would like the option for it to start with the price I actually paid for the stock.  The function showing the basis mentioned above should include the brokerage commission if possible, or at least give the user the option to include this.

The basis calculation code is setup in a way that allows for other methods to be used.  Currently Icarra uses FIFO which is most common.  I plan to add support for other types but fixings bugs is a higher priority.

Internally, performance is calculated based on the transaction price not on the closing price.  I will update the charts to begin at the first transaction price.  After that the charts will use closing price.

Jesse